RESIDENTIAL TENANCY ACT MANDATORY
HOME SAFETY CHECK
Following the 2020 Changes to Renting Laws
The Victorian Parliament passed the Residential Tenancies Amendment Bill 2018, which includes more than 130 reforms.
These reforms are designed to increase protections for renters, while ensuring those who provide rental housing can still effectively manage their properties. The reforms are framed around the reality that a growing proportion of Victorians are priced out of home ownership and likely to rent for longer periods of time.
Safety related activities
- The rental provider must ensure an electrical safety check of all electrical installations, fittings and appliances provided by a rental provider in the rented premises is conducted every two years by a licensed or registered electrician and must provide the renter with the date of the most recent safety check on request by the
- If an electrical safety check of the rented premises has not been conducted within the last two years at the time the renter occupies the premises, the rental provider must arrange an electrical safety check as soon as it is
Mandatory Home Safety Maintenance
Mandatory safety maintenance for electricity must take place
Reform 51.If a residential rental agreement includes a prescribed term setting out safety- related activities (such as testing smoke alarms) that must be completed during the tenancy, the RRP and renter will be required to undertake their respective safety-related activities and, where relevant, ensure the activity is carried out by a suitably qualified person.
Reform 52.RRPs will be required to comply with prescribed requirements recording and producing gas and electrical safety checks conducted at the property.
Reform 53. Renters and rooming house residents will be required to not remove, deactivate or interfere with the operation of a prescribed safety device, unless it is reasonable in the circumstances to do so (for example, if the reason for removal was to repair or replace it). Examples of prescribed safety devices could include smoke alarms and pool fences.
What are the risks of unsafe electrical services in the home?
An electrical risk is a risk to any person of death, shock or other injury caused directly or indirectly by electricity contact with exposed live parts, causing electric shock and burns (for example exposed leads or other electrical equipment coming into contact with metal surfaces such as metal flooring or roofs).
Electrical incidents injure or kill more than 800 Victorians every year, with ~75 involving children at home. Electrical faults can also lead to electric shock and fires.
Our data reveals that at least 1 in every 10 rental properties has a critical safety issue with its electrical service that represents a significant health risk to tenants.
How do or safety checks work?
We will come to the property to undertake the safety check at a suitable time. This can be arranged via your real state agent or directly with us.
Once our master electrician has completed the report, the comprehensive written report will be issued to you via email and/or a hard copy if required.
The report has a simple, easy to understand format. It will contain all relevant information about the safety check and includes photos and any recommendations. If any remedial work needs to be done it will have a quotation attached to it for you to review and approval.
RTA Home safety Pack
This pack offers what you need to ensure your property complies with the latest legislation and keeps your property safe and sound, giving you peace of mind knowing that all the electrical aspects are taken care of.
What is included in the pack
- Complete Electrical Switchboard check.
- MEN link installation check
- Electrocution protection devices – safety switches – operational/installation check & test.
- Mains cabling conditions.
- POA Point of attachment inspection.
- Main earthing electrode.
- Smoke alarm check – visual and functional test.
- Smoke alarm battery replacement.
- All light fittings operational/installation check & test.
- All power sockets operational/installation check & test.
- All fixed appliances operational/ installation check & test.
- Final written report with photos.
- Remedial works quotation – if required
- Life Time Warranty on our labour.