CALL US NOW 0412 724 955 or 1300 522 464
Category: Electrical tips

THE DANGERS OF VIR CABLES (Vulcanised Indian rubber)

VIR Cable deteriorating behind a light switch. When this happens, the copper in the cable can become exposed, leading to a potential risk of electric shock, fire or an immediate loss of power due to a short circuit rupturing the protective fuses. Initially, electrical installations involved the use of sheathed wires and were installed in most government structures, workplaces and residential homes between the 1880s and 1910s. After this period, the installations mainly involved the utilisation of Vulcanised Indian Rubber (VIR) electric cables to make up the wiring system of most homes as well as other buildings. What is VIR? As we have previously mentioned, Vulcanised Indian Rubber cables were rampantly used in Australia between 1910 to late 1950s. A typical VIR cable consists of a

Posted in Electrical tips
Copyright © 2021 Canny Electrics. All rights reserved. Brighton | Toorak | Balwyn | Malvern | Kew | Canterbury | Middle Park
A.C.N. 609 070 788